Self-Care during COVID-19
These past few weeks have been overwhelming for every family around the globe. With schools throughout the country cancelled until Fall, many home from work, and stores closed to the public, creating time and space for yourself has never been more important. In order for you to give patience and care to your family, you must first ensure that you practice self-care!
Here are Tally Connection’s top 4 ways to practice some self-care. If you have any more ideas, please leave them in the comments below for the rest of your community to read! We also realize that running to the store for new hobby supplies is not an option right now, so these options are completely DIY or web-based.
1. Practice some yoga and mediation.
Yoga and mediation have been known for centuries to alleviate symptoms of depression, anxiety, chronic pain, and other ailments that many Americans suffer through each day. Try Yoga Journal’s online Beginner’s Guide to Meditation or this New York Times guide to Yoga for Everyone.
Journeys in Yoga, Tallahassee’s own Yoga Studio, has also introduced online classes via Zoom.
CorePower Yoga, a large Yoga chain with studios around the country, also offers online yoga class options.
2. Indulge in a self-care podcast.
Podcasts are all the rage right now. If you search through Spotify, Apple Music, or any other music streaming service, you are sure to find a podcast for any of your interests. Further, there are tons of self-care podcasts for listeners to indulge in, including the Happy Place podcast, How to Fail with Elizabeth Day, or Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations. An extended list of self-care podcasts can be found below. (Thank you to Women’s Health Magazine for the tips!)
- Happy Place
- How to Fail
- Super Soul Conversations
- Radio Headspace
- She’s All Fat
- Life Hacks
- The Mindful Podcast
- The Doctor’s Kitchen
3. Create a Bullet Journal.
Take your creativity to a whole new level with the incredible DIY organizer-journal-planner hybrid that are Bullet Journals. All you need to get started? A journal like one of these, a few pens, and your imagination. The possibilities are endless! Below are links to a few ideas for getting your own Bullet Journal started.
- 14 Cool Bullet Journal Ideas to Keep You Writing and Drawing
- 23 Bullet Journal Ideas That Are Borderline Genius .
- 19 Essential Bullet Journal Ideas For Your “Must Have” Pages
- 12 Bullet Journal Ideas With Great Layouts
4. Take a bubble bath, you deserve it!
While the rest of your family is out on a walk, (maybe their third of the day… one of our colleagues has given her daughter a camera to create a photojournalistic experience on their family walks) treat yourself to a scrumptious bubble bath. Below are three of our favorite DIY, natural and easy-to-make recipes, courtesy of Hello Glow.
- 1/2 cup light almond oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup mild liquid hand or body soap (don’t use Castile soap!)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mild liquid body soap (just not Castile soap or you will get very few bubbles)
- 1/4 cup pure vegetable glycerin
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chamomile essential oil or a ‘pillow blend’ essential oil that combines lavender and hops
- 2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 ½ cups baking soda
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ cup Epsom salt
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder spirulina, or turmeric for color
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2/3 cup natural bubble bath
- 10-15 drops essential oil
- Muffin tin and paper liners
Don’t forget to check out the virtual events on our calendar!